O. Cairo CG 25589
Other nos.: O. Cairo JE 49886; O. Cairo SR 01458
  
Description: Limestone, 11 x 25 cms. Complete (four pieces). Two sides. Obverse: 5 lines; reverse: 2 lines. Black ink. Reverse l. 1 shows a lacuna near the beginning of the line. Top obverse = bottom reverse.
Classification: account - note: event - transfer
Keywords: cattle - commissioning
Provenance: Two fragments were found in the IFAO and stem from the Deir el-Medina-excavations of January 1931; two other fragments were already in the Cairo Museum (JE 49886); see Remarks.
Publication: Černý, Ostraca Caire , 31-32 (description), 55* (transcription), pl. XLVII-XLVIII (photograph of obverse, facsimile of reverse); Daressy, ASAE 27 (1927), 179 (transcription of two old fragments); Allam, Hieratische Ostraka und Papyri , 65-66, no. 32 (translation, commentary); Kitchen, Ramesside Inscriptions V, 436 (transcription); Helck, Die datierten und datierbaren Ostraka , 224, 226, and 227 (translation of obverse 1-4, 5, reverse 1 and 2, respectively)
Dates mentioned: rnp.t-sp 4 II Ax.t sw 30 (obv. 1); rnp.t-sp 9 IV Ax.t sw 8 (obv. 5); rnp.t-sp 10 IV (?) [ ... ] sw 10 (?) (rev. 1); rnp.t-sp 11 II Ax.t sw 16 (rev. 2)
Dates attributed: Dyn. 20, year 4 Ramesses III , year 9 Ramesses III, year 10 Ramesses III, year 11 Ramesses III ( Allam, Černý , Helck , Kitchen )
Contents: A cow of Hathor is taken to the workman Ra-mry to tend it in year 4. Five years later a calf is returned by him. Notes about year 10 and 11, when an ox of Hathor is taken again (to Ra-mry ?).
Terminology: iw=f Hr in (obv. 5); mH Y (rev. 3); r mH Y (corrected in obv. 2); r Dd (obv. 3); hrw n in (obv. 1, rev. 1, 2); swD (obv. 3)
Names/Titles: BAk-n-wrnr (Hr.y-mDAy ; obv. 1-2); Ra-mry (rmT-is.t ; obv. 3); 1w.t-1r Hnw.t mH.y.t (f.; deity; obv. 2, rev. 1, 2)
Remarks: According to Černý, Ostraca Caire , 31, the fact that O. Cairo CG 25556 has a wooden frame just like CG 25589 may point to both having the same provenance [Probably Deir el-Medina (Černý, Ostraca Caire , 31)].

Record last updated 2008-05-19


©1998-2017 The Deir el-Medina Database, Leiden University